Thursday 23 June, 2011

MY BOSSES – Part 2 ( KPMR )


K P MOHNADAS RAO

See KPMR on Pg 8 of a Dorr-Oliver Magazine of 1983



KPMR was Director Marketing at the time I joined Dorr Oliver in India in early 1979.  In sharp contrast to T R Krishna Rao, his immediate Boss, KPMR was loud, brash and boisterous, and every bit the Street Smart Operator.  I did not have as much occasion as I did with the other bosses, to interact with him during my days in Dorr-Oliver. 

KPMR either had a bad tailor, or was losing weight with regular frequency. He had this peculiar habit of hitching up his trousers with both hands, then tucking in his shirt, front first, and then the back : and these motions he practiced many times in the day during his rounds of the floor. To the jaded viewer, this mannerism of KPMR may have gone totally unnoticed : but to me, this spectacle holds a lifelong fascination even to this day, when I visualize it with my mind’s eye.

KPMR was a great humorist, and loved playing that part to an audience waiting for a break from poring over Ammonia prints of Clarifiers, thickeners, drum slakers and filters.  In keeping with his personality, many of his jokes were off colour, which however went down well due to his natural narrative style and poker faced rendering.

On occasions, KPMR was prone to getting carried away by the sound of his own words.  On my last day in Dorr-Oliver, after I had put in my papers, KPMR stood up to give the farewell speech.
“ Life is like a Suburban Train” he said.  “ People get on the train and get off the train” he continued. “Both the train and the people have to move on” . I could not bear to hear any more of this moving speech.  No, not on account of the sentiments expressed, but because by then, tears had welled up in my eyes, while I tried to suppress my laughter.  He was the comedian to the end.


Dr. Ananth S Kodavasal                                                                                      June 19, 2011


Footote :

KPMR stepped into TRK’s shoes as M.D of Dorr-Oliver, on the former’s retirement from the Company. By a strange quirk of fate, KPMR himself had to move on to Batliboi & Co in Bombay, when a few years later, common tradespeople from Dubai, with no sense of History, tradition and legacy of the Company took ownership of Dorr Oliver.  From KPMR I learnt that Bravado can be put to good use for success in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment