Friday 9 September, 2011

A BIRD IN HAND


A BIRD IN HAND


Very early in my career as a professional consulting engineer, I learnt a lesson that I will never forget : the lesson was a reaffirmation of the age old adage – “ A bird in Hand is worth two in the Bush “.  I have now made it a Company Policy to view each assignment on its own merit, irrespective of blandishments of future prospects, repeat orders etc. The story unfolds thus.

A franchisee bottler of a multinational soft drinks company called me to design a treatment plant for the wastewaters emanating from his bottling operations in Bangalore.  The Owner hailed from a far Northwest province, universally acknowledged to be populated by an ethnic group born into this world with forked tongues and snake in the grass temperament.  But being a greenhorn in the business, just starting out, I chose to overlook this serious gap in the credentials of the client.

He sweet talked me into reducing my fee and also accept full payment upon completion of the assignment, assuring me of repeat orders at his other locations in  various towns of Karnataka.   I was suckered into the deal willy nilly, and started going about my business of designing the treatment plant.

Being the first of its kind assignment for me, I spent a good deal of time and effort in “Characterising” the wastewater in terms of quantity, discharge patterns, analysis of individual wastewater streams from the various departments in the bottling operations etc.  I put together a very good technical dossier on the wastewaters from the bottling unit.

I then presented my report on the Design of the Wastewater Treatment plant to the client along with my bill for professional services, as per agreed terms.  All he needed to do now was to submit it to the Pollution Control Board, seek its approval and implement the scheme.

The blackguard evidently balked at spending even the very reasonable costs projected by me for  executing the Treatment plant.  True to the traditions of his race, he made a deal with the local enforcement officer, bought time for implementation of the project, and forthwith junked my report, and along with it my bill as well.

When reminded to make the payment for my professional services, in complete seriousness he said “ I have not used your report  - why should I pay you ? “ .  I was aghast at this man’s utter lack of professionalism, and cursed him to be roasted in the fires of Hell.


Dr. Ananth S Kodavasal                                                                          July 04, 2011

Footnote :

There was some solace for me from this horrid experience : The technical knowledge gained through the exercise was put to good use later in a competitor’s bottlery, as also in the many breweries which I later had an opportunity to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment